What does it mean to be mindful
One question I get a lot is: what exactly does it mean to be mindful? Mindfulness has received a huge amount of attention, but what does it really mean to your day? Do mindful people live differently? Are there practices we can follow to become more mindful?
Jon Kabat Zinn defines mindfulness as: Paying attention; on purpose, in the present moment, and non-judgmentally. You can hear more from Jon Kabat Zinn on mindfulness on this You Tube video.
Mindfulness allows us to create an awareness and gain greater clarity in our daily lives. It isn’t just meditating in the morning, although that is also recommended. You can practice mindfulness while shopping, working, eating or talking to a friend. Anyone can learn mindfulness from young children to adults. You can practice it anywhere and its always available to you.
Here are a few ways mindfulness can be applied during a normal day:
· Get out and walk, preferably in nature. Greenery helps us focus.
· Create something - from knitting to art to writing, whatever inspires you.
· Breathe – remember to check in with your breath from time to time during the day.
· Stop multi-tasking – one thing at a time allows you to concentrate.
· Take electronic breaks throughout the day. Better yet, sleep with your phone in a different room.
This site if full of inspiration on how to be more mindful in your life. We would love to hear from you, how do you practice mindfulness in your day?